Sunday, April 15, 2012

Caps for Sale!


 In my last post, I mentioned that we had just started our money unit last week.  Near the week's end, we read Caps for Sale. It is one of my favorites! I adore watching my students revisit the story as they read independently and retell the story with such expression (especially when the monkeys imitate the peddler...makes me smile every time!). After reading, we practiced counting sets of dimes.


I asked every child to design a cap to sell. We used dimes to count out 50 cents and then modeled it using paper dimes (using a strip of paper dimes I gave each child).  The printables are available on Teachers Pay Teachers.

    

Who wouldn't spend 50 cents to buy one of these colorful caps?! My kinders were so engaged in the design of their caps! If I were to do this again, I think I would have them make a paper cap to wear. Perhaps we would take photos of the kinder "peddlers" wearing their caps and create a class display in the hallway that reads, "Caps! Caps for sale! Fifty cents a cap!" and display 5 giant dimes below the pictures. I might even make a class book that reads, "(Colton)'s cap costs 50 cents instead of 1 cap costs 50 cents.


2 comments:

  1. What a great way to integrate math and ELA! thanks for sharing.

    Maria
    Kinder-Craze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Maria! I've been trying to integrate the two together more often, so I am excited to hear that you like the idea. I just added it to my Teachers Pay Teachers site, so I'll hope you'll check it out. If you are interested in test-driving the lesson with your kinders, I would be happy to email it to you!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete